Below is a sampling of healthy recipes which focus on whole foods. I encourage the use of organic products whenever possible.
My favorite blender: Blendtec wildside blender. Awesome!
Purchase your blender through our affiliate store link above and proceeds will benefit the WOW nonprofit organization benefiting cancer survivors. Thank you.
When deciding which organic foods to buy, consider these two lists:
|Dirty Dozen-buy organic||Clean 15-lowest in pesticides|
Smoothies & Whole Juices:
Tomato Energy Cocktail
Tomatoes neutralize the acid environment of the body. It is a good source of vitamins A, C, & E & is said to be beneficial for stimulating blood circulation, liver cleansing and blood purifying and fighting gallstones, gout, rheumatism and even sinus problems. A great detox smoothie!
1-2 med. Tomatoes
3-5 baby carrots
1/4 of an average cucumber
1 celery stalk
Handful of fresh spinach
1/2 of a red bell pepper
8 oz green tea or water (hot if making soup)
Wash and place in blender in order listed. Blend on high until smooth and well blended. If making a soup, use hot liquids and blend longer until heated up or warm on the stove. My blendtec blender (which I love) has preprogrammed buttons for smoothie, whole juice, soup, ice cream, etc. I simply load, press and drink. Enjoy!
5 hour Energy Juice
2 cp Seeded Grapes
2 Lg Strawberries with greend
1/8 Orange with peel
1/2 of a 1 inch slice of pineapple with core-divided
2 slices cantaloupe with seeds
Red Cabbage to taste-the more the better (healthier)
3-4 ice cubes
Wash and place in blender in order listed. Press "whole juice". YUM!
This easy to prepare Mediterranean-style salad complements almost any meal.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped into large pieces
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBS lemon juice or vinegar
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 6-8 ripe olives, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp capers
- Slice onions and mince garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting benefits.
- Combine and toss all ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Yield: Serves 4
- Cook time:20 Minutes
- Prep time:5 Minutes
- Cost Per Serving:$2.66
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
1. Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add lentils and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer until lentils are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in a strainer and place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add tomatoes, olives, basil, olive oil and lemon juice to bowl and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve warm.
1 Roma tomato, quartered
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1-2 celery stalks,
handful of baby carrots
1 bunch cilantro, to taste
1 wedge onion
Organic no salt seasoning, to taste
2 cp organic chicken broth
Wash veggies. Optional: May place all ingredients in a roasting pan and roast on low for 5-7 minutes-This will release the lycopene in the tomato and pepper. Place all ingredients in blender. Select "Soup" for 1 or 2 cycles depending on how hot you want it.
Add: corn, black beans, pre-cooked chicken. Pulse 3-4 times.
Serve with broken tortilla chips on top, cheese, avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream, chopped jalopenos, etc.
Southwest Brown Rice
1 Tbl olive oil in skillet
1 12oz bag of frozen whole kernal corn
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 sm. onion, chopped
Jalapeno pepper, chopped to taste (optional)
1 Tbl olive oil
1 14oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
2 cps prepared long grain brown rice
a small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
salt/pepper to taste
Combine first six ingredients in a skillet, saute. Add remaining ingredients, stiring until heated. Serve alone or on a bed of romaine lettuce or in a tortilla shell. Yum!
Strawberry Lime Slush
1 cp green tea, herbal tea, or purified water
2 limes, peeled
3 T. raw honey or pure maple syrup
2 cp strawberried, frozen, with greens
Wash and place in blender in order listed. Select "whole juice" and serve. For thicker, icier drink add 2-4 ice cubes.